Standard 12hp Light Utility Vehicle Mk1
The ‘Tilly’, as Light Utility Vehicles affectionately became known, dates back to 1938. The Standard version was derived from the Flying Standard chassis, with modified bodywork converting the dashing saloon into a light van, with 10 cwt capacity. Other ‘Tillies’ were manufactured by Austin, Hillman and Morris. Around 25 Standard ‘Tillies’ are believed to still exist out of over 3000 built. Only two of these are from the Mark 1 DC Series, based on the 12hp car chassis of which this is one. This vehicle has been restored and drives.
Many Light Utility Vehicles were supplied to the RAF, where they were used for carrying personnel, light cargo, and general errand work between bases. They were regarded as comfortable, economical and reliable.
From the outbreak of war, the Coventry based Standard Motor Company became involved in the manufacture of engine parts for the Air Ministry. It is fitting, therefore, that the vehicle should be on display at a former WWII Bomber Command Station.
Following painstaking restoration by the vehicle’s owner, Tony Allen, from Bristol, the ‘Tilly’ is on long-term loan to the Museum.