The Yorkshire Air Museum has a comprehensive collection of historic vehicles, all of which are being restored to original specification and roadworthy condition.
You may well see one or two driving around during your visit. Click the thumbnail images for more information about each vehicle.
The Alvis Saracen is the six wheel drive armoured personnel carrier member of the family which includes the Saladin Armoured Car and Stalwart High Mobility Load Carrier, and has a 16mm steel armour plated hull. It was produced from 1952 until 1972 at the Alvis works in Coventry. Some are still in service with armed forces throughout the world.
The Austin FV1801 4 x 4 is powered by a 4 cylinder, Rolls Royce B40, 2838cc engine. It was sold directly to the civilian market and designated “Champ”. This military “cargo” version was built in 1953 and has been restored on site and is an example of the 12,000 made to Ministry of Defence specification from 1952 to 1956.
The famous ‘Green Goddesses’ were a 1000 vehicle fleet of fire engines based on a Bedford 4-wheel-drive lorry chassis which were best known for provided emergency cover during strikes by regular fire fighters, most notably in 1977 when they were manned by 20,750 servicemen. They are now considered surplus to requirements and are being disposed of by the Ministry of Defence.
The Chevrolet Type C15A is a 15cwt general service truck, which was produced from 1941 in vast numbers by the Canadian motor industry to a British specification. (The letters CMP stand for Canadian Military Pattern).
A militarised version of the civilian Commer Centrepoise. It has a 6-cylinder, 4750cc, petrol engine and four wheel drive. Its task with the Auxilliary Fire Service (AFS) was to provide water for fire pumps.
After the Second World War, the RAF and the then British Overseas Airways Corporation were in need of vehicles to transport passengers between airports and city centre terminals. A total of 375 (later modified to 315) vehicles were ordered from the Park Royal Coachworks based on the well established Commer Q4 Commando chassis.
The Daimler Ferret is an armoured four-wheel drive road and cross-country scout car, which carries a crew of two (commander/gunner and driver). The hull is constructed of 16mm welded steel armour plate and is fully water proofed. Entry is through the top of the turret and there are escape hatches either side of the hull. Observation is through five separate hinged visors (three forward, two rearward).
The David Brown Aircraft Tractor was a common sight on UK airfields throughout World War II and until the mid-1950′s, where it was used extensively for towing aircraft and bomb trolleys. It weighs nearly 4 tons and is powered by a David Brown 4-cylinder, 2523cc, overhead-valve petrol engine delivering 37 bhp.
The Douglas P3 is a 12-14 ton light/medium aircraft towing tug powered by a Perkins diesel engine with a Brockhouse gearbox. The example at the Museum was used by British Midland Airways Ltd (BMI) at Durham Tees Valley Airport for many years. After being out of service for some time, the tug was kindly donated by BMI in late 2008.
The very rare 1938 Ford Model “E” car at the Museum was produced just a few months before World War II closed down production. It has an 850cc side-valve engine and cable brakes. It was the actual vehicle used by the Station Carpenter at RAF Elvington during World War II, travelling to and from Howden throughout the war.
Primarily designed as a first-line appliance for domestic fires, the GMC Fire Pump has proved popular due to its size and lower capital and running costs than a conventional Fire Engine. The vehicle is 4 wheel drive powered by a 6.2 litre V8 GMC diesel engine and the equipment includes a 500 gallon per minute Godiva fire pump, a 200 gallon water tank with foam capability and a 10.5 metre Angus triple ladder.
The Lansing tug was used on aircraft carriers as a general-purpose tug and in the civilian role for baggage handling. This 1958 vehicle has been restored on site and has a two-cylinder Enfield diesel engine of 2400-cc capacity.
The Museum purchased this Range Rover TACR2 Rapid Intervention fire engine from the Ministry of Defence in 2000. It is fully operational and was previously used by the Royal Navy. The TACR2 has a tank capacity of 900 litres of pre-mixed foam, an Albany AP8 pump and a telescopic lighting mast.
The 1971 Reynolds Boughton Chubb Pathfinder Airport Crash Tender was kindly donated to the Museum by Manchester International Airport, where it helped to put out an aircraft fire in 1983. It weighs 37 tonnes fully laden with 3000 gallons of water and 260 gallons of foam concentrate. Its pump can deliver 1700-1900 gallons per minute.
The ‘Tilly’, as Light Utility Vehicles affectionately became known, dates back to 1938. The Standard version was derived from the Flying Standard chassis, with modified bodywork converting the dashing saloon into a light van, with 10 cwt capacity. Other ‘Tillies’ were manufactured by Austin, Hillman and Morris. Around 25 Standard ‘Tillies’ are believed to still exist out of over 3000 built. Only two of these are from the Mark 1 DC Series, based on the 12hp car chassis.
The Thompson Mk Vc Aircraft Fueller is a small three-wheeled, airfield-based refuelling vehicle, powered by a Ford 10hp petrol engine. It has a three forward speed and one reverse speed gearbox and a chain driven rear axle. The three-wheeled, low slung design made it easier to get close to aircraft for refuelling.
The original Chieftain Main Battle Tank weighed 55 tons combat-loaded and was armed with a 120 mm main gun, a 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun and a 7.62 mm anti-aircraft gun. Powered by a Leyland 750 hp 6 cylinder diesel engine, it had a road speed of about 30 mph and a range of action of about 280 miles. The tank had a crew of four and was equipped with night vision equipment.
- Back to Exhibits -