World War Two Aircraft
Our World War Two collection ranges from gliders to heavy bombers. Below are the aircraft you can see from this period on your museum visit.
A total of 466 Mosquito Night Fighter Mk IIs were produced, but the total production of all types of Mosquito was 7785, built at factories in Britain, Canada and Australia. With a maximum speed of over 400 mph, and outstanding versatility, the Mosquito became one of the most successful aircraft of the Second World War.
The famous Douglas DC-3 was developed from the DC-2 airliner, powered by two Wright Cyclone engines. It first flew on 17 December 1935. With the US Army Air Force and powered by Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp radial engines, the aircraft was designated the C-47 Skytrain. In RAF service, it was the ‘Dakota’.
The Argus II at Elvington arrived in England in August 1942 and served for most of the Second World War with the ATA at No.2 Ferry Pool, Whitchurch. After the War, it was acquired by the United States Flying Club and registered as G-AJOZ. It was finally withdrawn from use in 1963.
The Museum’s Halifax reconstruction is based on a section of the fuselage of Halifax II, HR792, which carried out an emergency landing on the Isle of Lewis in 1945. A crofter, Mr McKenzie, purchased the fuselage section for use as a hencoop. The wings came from Hastings, TG536, at RAF Catterick.
A tough and reliable aircraft, Hurricanes were allotted the task of attacking German bombers in the Battle of Britain and shot down eighty percent of all aircraft claimed by the Royal Air Force during the Battle. Throughout the War, the aircraft performed well as an interceptor, fighter-bomber, night fighter and ground attack aircraft.
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 single-seat interceptor fighter was first flown in September 1935 and saw action in the Spanish Civil War with Jumo 210 engines. The Daimler-Benz DB 605 12-cylinder inverted V engine was introduced with the Bf 109G in 1942. The Bf 109G served on all fronts from 1942 to 1945. More than 33,000 Bf 109 were built between 1937 and 1945.
The Kirby Cadet glider first flew in 1937. Early examples had a rubber shock-absorbing skid, but later versions had a fixed main wheel, a modified nose and a less tall rudder. During the Second World War, the Royal Air Force adopted the glider for air cadet training. Total production was over 430.
The Spitfire replica at the Museum commemorates 609 (West Riding) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, and represents Spitfire Mk Ia ‘R6690′ flown in the Battle of Britain by the Commanding Officer, Sqn Ldr H S ‘George’ Darley.
The CG-4A was a wartime troop or cargo-carrying glider made by the Waco Aircraft Company in Ohio, USA. It was named Hadrian when in service with the British forces. It was the only American built troop-carrying glider to be used by the allied forces in the airborne invasions of Sicily and France.
- Pre-World War II Aircraft - - Post-World War II Aircraft -