Post World War Two Aircraft
As we begin to remember our service personnel who served in more recent conflicts, it has become vital work to preserve the aircraft they flew in. Our collection of post Word War Two aircraft is growing all the time.
The Air Command Sports Elite is a kit-built gyroplane built in the USA since the early 1990s. It is powered by a Rotax 532 engine. The aircraft can take off within 600 feet in still air and a good pilot can land within 10 feet. The cruising speed is 60 – 80 mph.
The Avro Anson, which first flew in March 1935, was used by the Royal Air Force and many allied Air Forces for numerous tasks throughout the war. Many were to be eventually found operating in a civilian role when hostilities ceased. In all, 11,020 Ansons of all types were built, the last one being delivered to the Royal Air Force on 15 May 1952.
The Beagle Terrier 2 was the name given to the modified Auster AOP (Air Observation Post) 6, after the Auster Aircraft Company was sold. It was powered by a Gipsy Major 7 engine. A total of 380 of these aircraft were built between 1946 and 1953.
The de Havilland DH104 Devon was a military version of the de Havilland Dove short-haul airliner, one of Britain’s most successful post-war civil designs. The original design was in response to the Brabazon Committee report which called for a British designed short-haul feeder for airlines.
Designed as a high altitude interceptor, the Vampire followed the Meteor as Britain’s second jet fighter. It was initially powered by the Halford H1 engine developed by Frank Halford, chief designer for De Havilland, and was known originally as the ‘Spider Crab’. The prototype flew in September 1943.
The T.4 was a dual-control trainer variant of the Canberra, which was originally a twin-engined light bomber, with a crew of three, of all-metal stressed-skin construction, powered by two Rolls-Royce Avon 109 turbojets of 7,500 lb thrust each. It had an initial rate of climb of 3,800 feet per minute, with a service ceiling of 60,000 feet and a maximum speed of 620 mph (Mach 0.94) at 40,000 feet.
The Lightning F.6 was a single-seat, twin-engined, fighter interceptor, of all-metal stressed-skin construction, powered by Rolls-Royce Avon turbojets with re-heat. Its initial rate of climb was a colossal 50,000 feet per minute. Its service ceiling was 60,000 feet and its maximum speed Mach 2.27 at 40,000 feet. Its range, with ventral tanks, was 800 miles.
The Europa Aircraft Company was formed at Kirkbymoorside, Yorkshire, in 1991 by Ivan Shaw, to develop and market the Europa light aircraft he had designed the previous year. Of advanced kit-built design, the Europa can be easily transported and rigged and has excellent cruising and short-field performance for two people.
Designed initially as an anti-submarine strike aircraft with Double Mamba turbines driving co-axial propellers, the first prototype Fairey Gannet made its maiden flight on 19 September 1949 from Aldermaston and its first carrier landing on 19 June 1950 on the deck of HMS Illustrious. The first production Gannet AS.1 made its initial flight from Northolt on 9 June 1953.
The Gloster Javelin was the world’s first twin-engined delta-wing fighter. Designed as a two-seat all-weather interceptor, the first prototype flew on 26 November 1951. Derived from the F(AW).7, which had modified flying controls and an extended rear fuselage, the F(AW).9 was powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire Sa.7R turbojets.
This Meteor F.8, which commemorates and carries the markings of 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force, is really WL168, which never flew with the squadron. WL168 was built at Hucclecote as part of the last batch of the 1090 F.8s built and entered service with the Royal Air Force in February 1954.
The Meteor NF.14 Night Fighter was the last major development of a line that started in July 1944, with the first jet aircraft to go into service with the Royal Air Force, and included the F.4, F.8 and T.7. The NF.14 was a two-seat, twin-engined monoplane, powered by two Rolls-Royce Derwent 8 turbojets, each delivering 3,600 lb thrust.
The Handley Page Herald Series 200 is a short-range transport aircraft powered by two Rolls-Royce Dart 527 turboprops of 2,150 shaft hp. Its maximum cruise speed is 274 mph. A Dart-engined Herald first flew in 1958.
The remarkable Harrier originated from the Hawker P1127 Kestrel, designed by Sir Sydney Camm of Hurricane fame, and was the first Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) combat aircraft to enter regular squadron service with any air force in the world.
The Hawker Hunter was initially designed as a short-range day interceptor and the prototype flew on 20 June 1951. The Hunter FGA.78 was a single-seat ground attack fighter, armed with four 30mm cannon, plus bombs or rockets. It was powered by a Rolls-Royce Avon 207 turbojet, delivering 10,050 lb thrust.
The first prototype Hunter T.7 two-seat trainer flew on 8 July 1955. These aircraft differed from the fighter by having a lengthened nose and ‘side by side’ seating. From 1957, a total of 45 Hunter T.7s were built at Kingston for the Royal Air Force. In addition, 6 Hunter F.4 airframes were converted to T.7 specification in 1958 and 1959.
The Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 was a two-seat, low-level, strike and reconnaissance aircraft of all-metal, stressed-skin construction, powered by two Rolls-Royce RB Spey Mk.101 turbofans, delivering 11,100 lb thrust. It had a maximum speed at sea level of 690 mph (Mach 0.92), a tactical radius of 500-600 miles and a range of 2000 miles.
The Hawker Siddeley Nimrod was a maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft based on the de Havilland Comet, the world’s first jet airliner.
The prototype Jet Provost T.1 was developed from the Piston Provost as an initial jet trainer and first flew on 26 June 1954. After trials, it went to No. 2 Flying Training School at Hullavington for the first all-through (Jet Provost to Vampire) jet flying training course. The T.3 was the basic trainer for the Royal Air Force until the mid-1970s, when the up-graded T.4 was introduced.
This aircraft was one of 636 jet trainers built under licence by Canadair for the Royal Canadian Air Force, from 1952. The type was known in Canada as the ‘Silver Star’. The Museum’s aircraft was mounted as a gate guard at Baden Soellingen, West Germany. It was presented to the Museum on behalf of the Museum’s Canadian Branch in August 1993.
The Mainair Demon Tri-Flyer is a single-seat, single-engined flexible wing aircraft with weight-shift control, manufactured by Mainair Sports Ltd. of Rochdale, Lancashire. The museum’s example was sold in 1982. The wingspan is 32 feet and the maximum take-off weight is 370lb.
Tornado GR.1 ZA354 first flew on 13 January 1982 and was involved in drop tank, armament and fatigue testing trials throughout its life. It last flew on 17 March 2004 and arrived at Elvington from British Aerospace, Warton, Lancashire on 28 April 2005.
Tornado XZ631, which arrived at Elvington on 22 March 2005, first flew on 24 November 1978. The Yorkshire Air Museum is the first independent museum in the United Kingdom to acquire a Tornado, and is the first museum in the country to display the current front-line GR.4 version.
The Skeeter AOP 12 (S2/5107) at the Museum first flew in February 1959 and served with the Army Air Corps as XM553 until it was struck off charge on 25 April 1968. It was restored in 1979 as closely as possible to the 1961 specification, which resulted in the removal of some later modifications. As G-AWSV, it last flew in 1998.
WH991 first flew on 4 February 1953. Shortly afterwards it joined HMS Illustrious, but was soon returned to Westland for repairs. During the next few years it served on HMS Centaur and at Lee-on-Solent and Eglington in Northern Ireland. After modifications in 1958, WH991 was sent to Trinidad to serve on the survey ship, HMS Vidal. Back in England in 1960, the helicopter joined 700 Squadron at Yeovilton and 705 Squadron at Culdrose. In 1994, it was found in a nearby scrapyard by Museum member Ray McElwain, who has restored it for static display.
- World War Two Aircraft - - Back to Aircraft Exhibits -